Request Material

Find out how to request and view material from the Grainger Museum collections.

Requesting collection material

As part of a leading Australian research University, the Grainger Museum welcomes enquiries.

If you have a general research enquiry, please email

If you would like to access collection material, archival material can be requested and viewed in the Grainger Museum's Research Room. Access to the Research Room is by appointment only. Researchers are required to follow the Research Room guidelines to ensure safe handling of collection material.

Once you have identified material in the catalogue or finding aids that you would like to view, please email your request to

Interstate and international researchers and complex enquiries

If you have a general research enquiry, please email

Due to a high volume of enquiries, staff are unable to assist with complex enquiries or undertake copying or research on your behalf.

If you are unable to access material in the Research Room, you may wish to engage a private records agent and researcher to undertake research on your behalf. The individuals listed below have indicated that they are able to undertake such work on others behalf.

Private records agents and researchers (PDF 79KB)

Requests for image reproduction

Requests for image reproduction should be emailed to Please note that not all materials will be able to be digitised due to age, fragility, copyright or other concerns.  Please note that there may be a fee associated with your request.

It is the responsibility of the researcher to ensure that they comply with Copyright law.

If you require a copy of music in the collection please conduct a search prior to contacting the Museum. We are unable to copy published music due to copyright restrictions.

Some possible starting places include:

If what you require is out of print but still in copyright you will need to supply us with written proof of permission to copy from the publisher. If copyright is no longer owned by a publisher written permission is required from the Grainger Estate.

We are also unable to advise on requests for permission to perform musical works in our collection and suggest that you contact the relevant performing rights association directly.

Please contact us if you would like to request copyright permission from the Executor of Grainger's Estate and the contact details will be supplied.